PROVIDING FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE TO BOHDS MEMBERS
WHAT IS THE BOHDS BURSARY ?
This bursary is administered by the Bendigo Tertiary Education Anniversary Foundation and was established by the Bendigo Oral Health and Dentistry Society (BOHDS) at the Bendigo Campus of La Trobe University. The bursary is awarded to support 4th year dentistry students who will be undertaking their first year of rural rotations. BOHDS recognises the financial hardships faced in the last two years of the dentistry course, especially with regard to the cost of accommodation and the inability to undertake part time employment during this time. Another bursary was also established to support 2nd year oral health students to help them financially with their chosen summer semester elective at the beginning of their third year.
CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY
- Be enrolled as a fourth year student in the Bachelor of Health Sciences in Dentistry/ Master of Dentistry OR
- Be enrolled as a second year student in the Bachelor of Oral Health Sciences.
- Be a current BOHDS member and been a member since the first year of their course.
- Have satisfactorily completed all subjects in their course to date of application.
Please note: applicants intending to apply for this bursary may not concurrently hold a scholarship or award offered by La Trobe University at the date of application.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate and provide details of:
- How they have contributed to the wider community in oral health promotion
- How the bursary will help to alleviate individual financial difficulties in relation to their clinical placement.
NUMBER OF AWARDS
Two awards will be made annually to an eligible Dentistry & Oral Health student. BOHDS reserves the right to vary, or not to make the award in a specific year; if there are insufficient applicants, or if applicants are deemed by the selection panel not to have demonstrated eligibility based on the selection criteria.
VALUE OF AWARDS
To be determined every 3 years by the BOHDS Executive Committee, based on income available within the BTEAF, payable in the year of the award. In 2014 the value of the award will be $1000 for a dentistry student & $750 for an oral health student
The bursary will be formally presented at the La Trobe University Bendigo Campus Prize Ceremony and an appropriate notation made on the student’s academic record.
Applications must be lodged on the Application Form, to Student Administration at the Bendigo Campus by 31 March, 2014. Applications must include evidence of acceptance or enrolment into an undergraduate degree.
Stayed tuned for 2018 application forms